Making a Difference
Our vision for the future is for everyone to have a safe place to call home and feel worthy of being safe!
Facts about our efforts
- We prepare and hand out over 200 meals, blankets, clothing of all kinds, and toiletries bags per month.
- Handing Out Hope partners with the Phoenix Dream Center to service the trafficked and homeless community. We also donate clothes, toys, and food to the forgotten community through Phoenix Dream Center.
“There was never a night or a problem that could defeat the sunrise or hope.”
Arizona Stats on trafficking and homelessness:
- Based on data gathered by the U.S. State Department, Arizona is a prime transit and destination area for both sex and labor trafficking in the United States. Sex trafficking is a high-profit, low-risk crime where the commodity, a human body, can be sold repeatedly, unlike drugs or weapons, where the product can only be sold once.
- Only 1-2% of human trafficking victims are ever identified. (National Human Trafficking Resource Center)
- The average age of entry for youth into sex trafficking in Arizona is 14. Law enforcement has seen girls as young as 9 sold for sex. (Office of Sex Trafficking Intervention Research, Arizona State University)
- In Arizona, 1 in 3 homeless young adults have experienced sex trafficking—and the figure is even higher when isolating for female victims. (“Youth Experiences Survey,” Office of Sex Trafficking Intervention Research, Arizona State University)
- Human trafficking is a form of modern-day slavery in which traffickers use force, fraud, or coercion to control victims.
“Say hello to Jeff; he is a 59-year old homeless man who lives currently at CASS downtown PHX and takes a bus to Avondale and Goodyear during the day. I would feed him from time to time and told him to reach out if he ever needed anything. He never asked for anything, then one afternoon Jeff called “Helping Heather” (what he calls me), and asked if I could help him find a bike. Within two days, Handing Out Hope was able to deliver Jeff an amazing bike that was donated by a family in our community. He is getting exercise and enjoying his new ride for sure.”